Monday, November 10, 2014

The Most Important Meal of the Day

I love breakfast. I would eat it for every meal if I could. Being in college (and being the complete opposite of a morning person), I am always looking for affordable quick, healthy breakfasts to make/buy. After four years I have come up with a list of my breakfast staples.


1. Green Smoothie
I'll admit, I don't always eat all of my vegetables. While browsing my grocery store near my house, they were serving samples of these green smoothies and I hesitantly tried one (I mean a green drink isn't always appealing) and I was amazed at how good it was! Even more amazing is how simple it is to make.

Ingredients
1 container of vanilla greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
1 cup of orange juice
1 heaping cup of frozen mango (frozen pineapple is also delicious)
1 cup of greens (I use kale, but spinach works too)
1 banana

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend for about 45 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a cup and enjoy!

2. Luna Protein Bars
Some mornings I oversleep and really need a super quick breakfast that will keep me full until I get out of my three hour morning class. These could not be any more perfect. I keep a box on my desk so I can easily grab one on the go. These bars average around $14 for a box of 12.

3. Trader Joe's Waffles
I love Trader Joe's, like I would live there if I could. My boyfriend's mom recommended these waffles to me and I am so glad she did. My favorite variety is the wheat-free, but in the fall I reach for the pumpkin spice ones. All of the varieties are super delicious and only require a few minutes in the toaster to cook. I eat them with just syrup, or when I'm on the go I spread some peanut butter or TJ's cookie butter on one with some sliced fruit and it makes an easy, mess free breakfast on the go. These go for $2.99-$3.99 for a box of 8.

4. Special K Flatbread Breakfast Sandwich
Less than 300 calories and made in less than 2 minutes? What could be better? These come in several varieties including sausage or bacon egg and cheese and vegetable, egg and cheese (my personal favorites.) All are super filling and convenient for mornings on the go. A box of 4 sandwiches will run you around $5.

What's your favorite breakfast on the go? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment