Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Lunch Break

Lunch is one of my favorite meals of the day and I am always looking for some quick, delicious lunch spots around campus. And as usual I want them to be cheap! Here is a list of my top picks around Willy P:


1. Zorba Greek Eatery
I love Greek food. I feel like it is so underrated because it totally makes the perfect lunch. Zorba's is located less than ten minutes off of campus right off of Hamburg Turnpike. My friends and I frequent this restaurant because it has amazing food for super low prices. The restaurant is small, nestled in a shopping center. We usually seat ourselves and are always quickly greeted by a host.

The menu has a ton of options. Sandwiches, wraps and salads are the most affordable choices and are awesome when paired with some of their appetizers (also affordable). The platters are where it gets a little bit pricy, but for the amount of food you get the price is well worth it. My usual order is a gyro and my friends and I usually split an order of either hummus, Greek fries or Zorba fries. The portions are huge and I always end up with leftovers no matter how hungry I was when I got to the restaurant.

All together I usually pay around $11 total for my gyro ($7.45), my share of the fries ($3.95 for a whole order that we split) and a fountain drink ($2.25). This makes it a total steal for a super filling lunch.

Zorba Greek Eatery
223 Berdan Ave
Wayne, NJ 07470
(973) 628-7777
www.zorbagreekeatery.com


2. House of Platters
When I'm in the city I almost always will make a stop at the Halal Guys carts on 53rd and 6th for some platters. However, when I crave them a trip into the city isn't always possible. Lucky for me House of Platters opened up right down the street from campus in Haledon.

This place is the perfect place to go if you want to grab a quick bite on the go. You can call ahead for an order or just order there. I usually just order my food to-go at the restaurant and I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a fresh platter of food. I usually order the chicken and lamb platter which comes with meat, salad, rice and pita bread. They give you small containers of red sauce which is super hot (use sparingly) and a white sauce similar to tzatziki sauce. The restaurant also has burgers, chicken, wings and gyros.

I always pay less than $10 for a meal here. The platters cost $7.89 and are the most expensive item on the menu. All platters also come with a free drink which also saves some money! Definitely a great, quick value.


House of Platters
466 Belmont Ave
Haledon, NJ 07508
(973) 321-8371



3. Cinco De Mayo
Sometimes after a long week of classes all I want is a nice drink and a cheap lunch out with my friends. Cinco De Mayo is the perfect place to do so. This restaurants is barely over 5 minutes off of campus and is seriously a hidden gem. It is hidden off of High Mountain Road, you have to turn into a church lot and sharply turn down a side path to get to the parking lot. It sounds sketchy, but trust me it is worth it.

During the late spring months and early fall they  have seating on a patio outside of the restaurant and it is a great place to sit and relax with friends. They also have plenty of indoor seating for days with iffy weather and seating at the bar. Some days even have live entertainment!

Entrees here can get a little bit pricey, but lunch foods like quesadillas, salads and taquitos are super inexpensive! Their happy hour also happens right around lunch time so you can enjoy a $3 margarita, sangria or beer with your meal (if you're 21+ of course).

I ordered the chicken taco salad and a sangria-flavored margarita and my roommate ordered a chicken quesadilla and a sangria-flavored margarita. We also split an order of guacamole which is made table-side, so it's super fresh and you can chose exactly how you like it! When the bill came we split it in half and each had to pay less than $15 including tip! Once again, a great deal.

Cinco De Mayo
371 High Mountain Rd
North Haledon, NJ 07508
(973)304-4300



4. Bogie's Hoagies
Sometimes all I want for lunch is a sandwich. It is considered the classic lunch food. When I'm up at school, there is one place that I will always go to for the perfect lunch; Bogie's Hoagies. Bogie's is located less than 10 minutes off of campus on the main street in downtown Hawthorne.

The sandwich shop is small with a counter on one side and a few booths if you want to eat in along the opposite side. Large chalkboards are covered in colorful writing exclaiming their specials for that day. They have tons of different hot and cold hoagies, pasta dishes, fries and other sides.

My friends and I each ordered a half hoagie and we ordered two baskets of fries to split between the three of us. The sandwiches are huge and packed with fresh veggies, meats and cheese. The bread is crusty on the outside but super soft on the inside. The baskets of fries were much bigger than we expected, we could have easily split one between the three of us and still had leftovers which is crazy since one basket is less than $3! We also each grabbed a can of soda from their large coolers in the back.

When we went to pay I was shocked to find that my meal was less than $10 for a basket of fries, a huge sandwich and a drink! Also, be sure to hit the ATM before you come to Bogie's because it is cash only! I definitely recommend this place for all of the lunchtime classics.

Bogies Hoagies
CASH ONLY
421 Lafayette Ave
Hawthorne, NJ 07506
(973)423-2221
bogieshoagies.com

Do you have any recommendations for lunch spots around North Jersey? Leave me a comment below and you may see it featured in a future post!


No comments:

Post a Comment